Phone: (416) 978-7174
Room: LI 114
Bio and Research
Kevin Wilkinson holds degrees in both Classics and Religious Studies from the University of British Columbia (BA, MA) and Yale University (MA, PhD). He specializes in the history and literature of the Later Roman Empire with a particular interest in the intersection of religion and politics during this period. Currently, his primary research focus is the fourth-century Greek epigrammatist Palladas of Alexandria. In addition to several articles on the topic, his editio princeps of a fragmentary papyrus codex containing new epigrams appeared in 2012 (American Studies in Papyrology vol. 52), and he is preparing a book that will explore Palladas’ topical poetry against the backdrop of the historical period from Diocletian to Constantine. Other studies in print or forthcoming include articles on late third-century imperial itineraries, the Theodosian Code, the fourth-century senatorial widow Melania the Elder, and late antique oracles. He joined the faculty of the Department of Classics at the University of Toronto in 2013.
Specialization: Late Antiquity
- New Epigrams of Palladas: A Fragmentary Papyrus Codex (PCtYBR inv. 4000). American Studies in Papyrology, vol. 52 (2012).
- “A Greek Ancestor of the Sortes Sanctorum,” Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 196 (2015): 94-102.
- “Prytanis and Cognates in Documentary Papyri and Greek Literature,” Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 196 (2015): 88-93.
- “More Evidence for the Date of Palladas,” Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 196 (2015): 67-71.
- “Anth. Pal. 10.92 + 9.175 (Palladas): A Proposal,” Classical Quarterly 65 (2015): 418-424.
- “The Sarmatian and the Indians: A New Satirical Epigram on the Victory Titles of Galerius,” Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 183 (2012): 39-52.
- “Aurelius Gaius (AE 1981.777) and Imperial Journeys, 293-299,” Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 183 (2012): 53-58.
- “The Elder Melania’s Missing Decade,” Journal of Late Antiquity 5 (2012): 166-84.
- “Dedicated Widows in Codex Theodosianus 9.25?,” Journal of Early Christian Studies20 (2012): 141-66.
- “Palladas and the Foundation of Constantinople,” Journal of Roman Studies 100 (2010): 179-94.
- “Some Neologisms in the Epigrams of Palladas,” Greek, Roman & Byzantine Studies50 (2010): 295-308.
- “Palladas and the Age of Constantine,” Journal of Roman Studies 99 (2009): 36-60.